Sunday, March 05, 2006

Rest in peace, little buddy...

For those who had a chance to meet or get to know Gunther over the years, I just wanted to let you know that he passed away on Tuesday night, February 28.

His death was strange and sudden. Upon post-mortem examination, it turned out that Gunther may have had a heart condition called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM).

HCM is known as an "evilly capricious" disease as it can go undetected for years and then manifest itself seemingly out of nowhere. In Gunther's case, a blood cot had formed cutting blood flow to his abdominal region. Within hours, he died of sepsis (bacterial poisoning).

This heart condition is somewhat rare among cats older than 5 years. In many ways, Gunther was fortunate to have had nearly a decade of good feline times.

Gunther was an uber-cat, big in size and personality. He had a way of charming even those callous types who'd say "I don't normally like cats". Maybe it's because Gunther had a natural (even dog-like) rapport with humans.

Most of all, he was a loyal and affectionate companion to the very end. There won't be another cat like Gunther.

--bernice

Please feel free to share your remembrances...

(click on "Comments" below)

4 Comments:

Blogger Mustapha Mond said...

That sucks, guys. I'm very sorry. As much as I'm allergic to cats (and dogs, and everything else) I've always loved my pets and I know how bad it sucks when one dies.

After a while I'm sure you'll find another cat to bring happiness into your apartment. He won't be able to replace Gunther, but he'll add to your string of happy pet memories.

7:03 PM  
Blogger WeSailFurther said...

So sorry!

No doubt he's off chasing mice and bugs and little bits of fuzz, all the while listening to the CBC, somewhere off in a cozy corner, waiting for you guys to rustle the beads that hang in the doorway between Cat Heaven and People Heaven.

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Bernice came into my life through Conan, I was of course excited to get to know her, and Gunther, I the possibility of getting to know you was a major bonus. You surpassed my expectations: on this earth you were an original, an instant powerhouse. I only had the pleasure of meeting you twice, but you were already en route to becoming the most important cat in my life, as I got to know you better through stories from Conan. On our last visit, after you assessed "the Creature" as not yet worth your time, I was relieved that you didn't write me off too, but waited until he was safely at the other side of the house to curl up with me on the bed in the study and sooth my sleep-deprived, christmas-cooking frazzled nerves with your big, sweet body and satisfyingly thick, silky fur. I've always thought boy cats were second rate, but your mperious elegance and air of tantalizing mystery had me begging for some attention. I know we would have grown closer, given more visits. This is too soon. I will miss you.
Miranda

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry Bernice, you and Gunther had a real bond between the two of you so you must be really hurting right now. It's true he was a unique cat, it's sad to hear that his time came earlier than we would have expected.

much love, Hee

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home